For Our Parents
Parents’ Communication with the Center
We welcome your questions, comments and suggestions!
Each child has a mailbox in his or her classroom. Any notices, memos, newsletters or notes from the teacher or the office will be placed in this mailbox. Please try to check it daily.
Center staff will use email to communicate with parents, and parents are encouraged to use email or phone calls to communicate with the center. Infant and toddler teachers tend to communicate mostly by phone, daily contact sheets and face-to-face. Please note: teachers are attending to children and are only able to check email sporadically throughout the day. Please contact the office if you want a message delivered promptly.
Please visit the center as often as you wish or call with any questions or comments. The center director and teachers are always eager to talk with you about your child or the program.
Sharing Your Talents
We welcome your talents . . . Can you:
- Build, paint, do small repairs?
- Read aloud to one or more children?
- Share science and math activities?
- Dance or play an instrument?
- Sew, knit, or make other crafts?
- Plan a cooking project?
- Assist in the classroom, on a field trip or in some other way?
Let your child's teacher or the center director know about your desire to share your talents and we'll be happy to discuss what might work best for the children.
Inclement Weather Policy
Weather is, by its nature, unpredictable. During inclement weather, families need to be prepared to see if the university makes changes to its operations. Alerts for Johns Hopkins University can be accessed at https://www.jhu.edu/alert/. The center will communicate any specific information with families via our REMIND text alert system.
Please review the following policy carefully and ask the center director if you have questions.
1. When JHU is closed for the day, or delays opening to 12:30 or later, the center will be closed. For example, if JHU opens at 1pm, the center will be closed.
2. When JHU announces a delayed start time of 12:00 noon or earlier, it is our policy to open 30 minutes before the announced JHU opening so that employees may drop children off and still get to work on time. For example, if JHU announces a noon opening, the centers will be open at 11:30 am
3. When JHU announces an early closure, we will close at the same time. For example, if JHU announces a 5 pm closure, Homewood ELC will also close at 5:00 pm.
There may be isolated instances where local weather conditions or other factors call for a deviation from the stated policy. These decisions are always made in close conjunction with DBCC and JHU leadership and will be communicated to parents with as much notice as possible.