Hours and Closures
Homewood Early Learning Center (ELC) is open Monday through Friday, from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm.
The Center is closed in observance of the following holidays:
- New Year's Eve Day
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- President's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Thanksgiving Day and the Friday after
- Christmas Eve Day
- Christmas Day
The center closes for one week in August each year for maintenance and staff professional development. For 2021, the center will be closed August 23-27.
Inclement Weather Policy
Weather is, by its nature, unpredictable. During inclement weather, families need to be prepared to see if the university makes changes to its operations. Alerts for Johns Hopkins University can be accessed at https://www.jhu.edu/alert/. The center will communicate any specific information with families via our REMIND text alert system.
Please review the following policy carefully and ask the center director if you have questions.
1. When JHU is closed for the day, or delays opening to 12:30 or later, the center will be closed. For example, if JHU opens at 1pm, the center will be closed.
2. When JHU announces a delayed start time of 12:00 noon or earlier, it is our policy to open 30 minutes before the announced JHU opening so that employees may drop children off and still get to work on time. For example, if JHU announces a noon opening, the centers will be open at 11:30 am
3. When JHU announces an early closure, we will close at the same time. For example, if JHU announces a 5 pm closure, Homewood ELC will also close at 5:00 pm.
There may be isolated instances where local weather conditions or other factors call for a deviation from the stated policy. These decisions are always made in close conjunction with DBCC and JHU leadership and will be communicated to parents with as much notice as possible.